Wednesday, June 16, 2010

CD1 and Surgery Stress

I think today is CD1.  I woke up to spotting this morning.  I knew it was coming.  I think my new lp is 13 days rather than 12.  Seems to be the new trend.  I don't think I'm going to say much more about it.  I'm pretty upset and talking about it just makes things worse.  So that's it.  Better luck next time.

Today is dh's 29th birthday.  Woohoo!  I've still got to get his present and I have no clue what to get him.  Nothing like last minute right?  DH also said he didn't want to go out to dinner he'd rather have dinner here.  So I'm off to get some tuna and mahi from Fresh Market today.  As soon as I can get my lazy butt off this couch.  These cramps and this headache are making things difficult.

So speaking of cramps.  I need surgery and I just don't want to think about it.  But I need to think about it.  But I really don't want to.  From the day that I started seeing Dr. G she has said she wanted me to go have surgery with Dr. Hildgers.  She finally said the word that I had been asking doctors about since I was about 16.  Endometriosis. (I guess I should work on finishing my history that I started like forever ago)  She said that I seemed like such a classic case and that if I don't have endo she would be absolutely shocked.

I know that I have it.  I can't explain how I know, I just do.  I've known since I was a teenager I just couldn't get a doctor to listen to me.

I was talking to dh last night and said that one way or the other we have to figure out how to do this surgery.  If I have endo completely taking over my lady parts then all of this stuff we're doing could be completely pointless.  We could be spinning our wheels with like a 0% chance of actually conceiving.

Here's the issue.  We live in Florida.  Plane tickets for the two of us would be about $1500.  Plus a hotel stay for 9 days (Dr. G said that's how long we'll have to stay before they will let me back on a plane). I have really, really crappy insurance that isn't going to cover much if any of this.  How much do you think the surgery would cost out of pocket?  I don't even want to think about that.  And then, there is always the chance that Dr. H will go in and see too much and make me come back for another more invasive surgery.  Which will me lots more money.

I just don't know how we can do it.  It stresses me out to think about it.  I feel like I am sort of between a rock and a hard place.  I've been praying about it but I still don't feel like I have any answers.

Well...I'm off to take care of some birthday things.  Hopefully the rain will stay away for a little while.  Although I have lived here my whole life I just can't get used to the soupy feeling in the summer. YUCK!

9 comments:

  1. So sorry about the CD1. I know how disappointed you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karen, I had my hopes so high for you this month. I was so hoping you'd be wrong about the upcoming cd1. I'm sorry.

    As far as cost of surgery, my insurance doesn't cover ANYTHING for infertility, but the surgery was coded differently (as dysmenorrhea-aka-shitty periods) and was covered (although out of network). If you do the surgery the doctor's office and hospital will call your insurance and figure out what is covered and you can find everything out before hand. The bills for my surgery ended up being almost 30,000. Luckily for us we had a maximum out-of-pocket of a few thousand so once we hit that the insurance covered 100%. If it hadn't been for that we would have paid 60% of 30,000!!!

    I don't think you would have to go all the way to Hilgers to have the surgery. He trains other doctors all over the country with his method. Any NaPro doc who has completed the year-long study has been trained on his methods, all other NaPro docs at least know about it. There are two in St. Louis (who did the year-long thing) and one in TN (mine) who didn't do the year-long training but I was VERY happy with. Sew also went to an endo center in Atlanta for her surgery. Not NaPro-but I think she was very pleased.

    You definitely have some options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can take out some of that cost for you--we live about 20 min from both PPVI and CUMC, and you are more than welcome to stay with us if you want! Our place is pretty modest but we do have a spare bedroom that you are welcome to occupy if you need it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pray that you find a way to get this done! (I already see the bloggers coming up with good ideas for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We stayed at the Candlewood Suites near the airport which was relatively inexpensive and nice. Each room has its own kitchen, so you can save money on food during the week. Dr. Stegman is located in PA and is a Napro surgeon. I think TCIE, FJEJ, AYWH and Jeremiah all see him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure if you live anywhere near Orlando or Fort Lauderdale, but if you do check out Allegiant Air. They have VERY reasonable...and lots of times CHEAP (under $100 one-way tickets)...tickets. You just have to check their site daily. They can get you in to Sioux Falls, SD or Cedar Rapids, IA and it's a relatively short car trip to Omaha. Total with car/hotel (unless you stay with Hebrews 11:1 in which case it would be even a better deal)/air travel it would be less than the $1500 you would spend on JUST tickets. Of course this doesn't help if you don't live near Orlando or Fort Lauderdale, but I thought I'd try to help. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so so much for your kind words and advice. I am always so amazed by all of you.

    Kaitlin: I always love your insight into things. You really help me put things into perspective. I had not thought about the out of pocket maximum. I just looked mine up - it's not great but it's much better than $30,000! Thank you so much!

    Hebrews: Wow! Just wow! Your generosity just amazes me. I have to admit, I got a little teary reading it. I don't even know what to say. I told dh last night and he was in a bit of shock. I'm always talking about all of you ladies and he has been in awe of all of you, but I think now he is just baffled. Thank you so much for the offer. If we ever get this thing scheduled we may take you up on that. :)

    Patiently Waiting: I am only about an hour and a half from Orlando! Thanks for that info. Orlando airport is definitely an option I had not thought of. We don't fly much...actually ever so I'm kinda lost with this stuff.

    Thanks again. I feel so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We would love to have you stay! I'll warn you, though, we don't have cable so bring a book or two. :-)

    Oh, and I have crappy insurance too, but my insurance covered more than I thought it would. Does the plan cover both CUMC and Dr. Hilgers? That would be something to ask them--in my case, CUMC was covered and PPVI was not, so in the end we paid way more to PPVI. For CUMC we just paid what was left of our deductible and haven't had to pay since.

    Also, on the timeline--I think it will only be 9 days if they do a laparatomy. If they can get all the endo during a laparascopy it should be significantly shortly, I think only about 3 days.

    Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, please don't get too ahead of yourself on the cost without the facts. My surgery, ultrasound series, etc was also about 14 days and 30k, but like Kaitlin I hit my out of pocket max and that was all she wrote...the rest was covered 100% Best money I ever spent. There are ways to work these things out. Freak out is always my first reaction, but with time and prayer and research-and awesome folks like HEBREWS it will all come together if it is meant to be!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I really do...they make me giddy! :)