K and I are going to our first Tridentine Mass. Can I just tell you how excited I am. Oh my gosh I'm really really excited! We have been talking about going to one but didn't think any of the parishes around here had them. We were talking to one of K's aunts a few weeks ago and she told us there is one at a parish about 45 minutes north of here. Well, she emailed us today and we are all going on July 10th.
Like I said, I'm super excited, but I'm also a bit nervous. I know it's going to be very different from what I am used to. Anything I should know before going. I've researched but I'd like to hear from you ladies. Can you give me an idea of what to expect or anything I need to know before going?
Thank you, Thank you!
Long overdue final update (such a good one)!
7 months ago



Yay! I love the Traditional Latin Mass! My husband and I try to make it to one every Sunday. Some advice: The choir and the priest will be doing different things. Since it's your first one, I would recommend not using the missal and just absorbing everything. :) If you DO decide to use the missal, just read it at a normal pace, because that will help keep up with the priest. At certain points during the Mass, the choir and the priest are doing the same thing (Gloria, Credo, etc.), so you'll know where in the missal you're supposed to be. Oh! An important thing: For the first ten minutes, you're not going to hear anything the priest is saying, but it's still happening. lol For my first couple of TLMs I went to, I didn't understand that and I was really confused.
ReplyDeleteMy husband says, "Overall, remember, the most important aspect of Mass is worship of God, and not necessarily following along with the text."
It took me 4 or 5 times going to the TLM to get the hang of it, so don't worry if you're confused. And if you ever feel like you need to put the little missal down (the church should provide little red books for you) and just pray on your own, that's fine too! I do it every Mass before the Consecration.
Sorry this is such a long comment! I hope you enjoy it! :)
Get a veil and experience heaven this side of earth! It.should.have.never.been.changed.
ReplyDeletesew
I really enjoy high mass. Low mass is just not my thing. I recommend getting used to kneeling. Veils will come in handy. I wear mine to the NO so it's no different for me.
ReplyDeleteNothing to be nervous about.
ReplyDeleteNo one is judging you, no one is expecting anything of you.
Sit, stand, kneel, etc.
;)
Enjoy.
If the parish doesn't have those red booklets (they are awesome - have both the English and the Latin), and you could call ahead to find out, you might get more out of the Mass if you could borrow or buy a missal. Although after half a dozen times you'll probably be able to follow even without the missal, the first time I think it can be very confusing (because it's a different rite AND a different language). And I always find it frustrating if I'm at Mass but am not really getting anything out of being there, so I think your motivation to go a second time will be greater if you are following along better :).
ReplyDelete