Friday, October 19, 2012

Quick Takes - Questions

1.  Do you do Santa?  Hubs and I are not on the same page about this one.  He says we shouldn't, I say we should.  Both of us grew up with Santa.  He is worried that it will take away from what Christmas truly is.  I think that you can easily do both.  My thinking is to play Santa way down.  And even possible make it very fairytale like...where we never make it like Santa really exists.  Does that make sense?  He wants to just do St. Nicholas' feast day where we do stockings from St. Nick (so this would be like our Santa?) and then Christmas (where all gifts are from us).  He asked me to poll you ladies.  So, do you do Santa?

2.  Do any of you have very young ones sharing a room?  Hannah is not sleeping through the night, but as soon as she is we plan to move her to her crib in Mary-Grace's room.  They are so close in age, and our house is rather small, so we always planned on them sharing.  However, now that we are getting near this actually happening, I'm concerned with the logistics.  Mary-Grace has become a pretty good sleeper, I don't want to mess that up.  And Hannah is a pretty light sleeper so I don't want Mary-Grace rolling around to wake her up.  We do have a sound machine in there...but if any of you have tips on how to make this work, I'm all ears!

3.Do you wear your wedding rings all of the time?  After K and I got engaged, I didn't take my engagement ring off the entire time we were engaged except to shower or touch raw meat etc.  After we got married I started taking my rings off to sleep because having 3 on all the time (I have my engagement ring and then a band on each side of it) was making my fingers peel.  Then at some point I just stopped wearing them while I was home.  This wasn't a huge deal when I was working because I always had them on when I was out.  Well now that I'm home everyday I noticed that if I didn't go somewhere it would be days without my rings on.  Something about that just didn't sit well with me.  About 2 or so months ago I decided to make sure I was at least wearing my wedding bad all the time (except for showers and such).  I sleep with that one band...everything.  I put the other two on if I'm leaving the house or people are coming on.  I've noticed that it's a nice reminder of my first vocation as a wife.  My days get so consumed as my vocation as a mother that I need this little reminder.  So, do you always wear your rings?

4.  When y'all started your blog, did you have any idea the friendships that would come from it?  I sure didn't!  I have made so many fabulous friends.  Some I talk to of FB regularly  Some I have never met but text multiple times a day.  Some I have met.  One was even here for the birth of my daughter.  I'm so amazed at the wonderful friendships I have made through this little community.  I am so thankful for all of you every day!

My oldest has even made a friend thought this little blog..

Mary-Grace and Hannah Rose in March, the weekend Hannah Clare was born.
Hannah Rose and Mary-Grace a few weeks ago.  My goodness 6 months makes a huge difference!  Someone stop the clock!
5. What's your favorite toddler friendly snacks?  I need some new ideas!  I make Mary-Grace these peanut butter/oatmeal "cookie" things that she loves.  There's no added sugar and they are really yummy (I've been known to eat them for breakfast).  But I need some new ideas.


6.  I'm working really hard on staying on top of the house work.  Any tips or chore schedules you use?

7.  How many years have you been married?  K and I will be celebrating 6 years this Sunday.  I'm so excited!  I love anniversaries, birthdays, anything we can celebrate really.  We don't really have any plans other than to disconnect for the weekend and just spend a quality weekend with each other and our girls.  In fact our big plans for tonight include cleaning our garage.  Of course we'll drink champagne while doing it.  That makes it romantic, right?

7 comments:

  1. Yes we are doing Santa...Low key.

    H & B will share a room just do not know when yet.... In a couple of years? LOL

    When I can fit into my engagement and wedding band I never ever take them off. I miss them so much. I have a fake walmart sterling silver band on now. I want my bands back. 17 more pounds.....

    I love texting you! LOL :)

    At first glance the girls look related! :)

    H eats dried bananas....I find them at my grocery organic for not a bad price. H loves nuts too.....

    No tips, my house is destroyed if we ever want to do anything outside of the house.

    7yrs November 12. OMGOSH. Where did time go. No plans this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. We largely St Nicholas, but I'm half Belgian and grow up putting my shoe out on December 5th, when DH's family (or others) talk about Santa we play it down and say it is another name for St. Nick.
    2. Not yet ~ coming soon.
    3. Yes all the time
    4. No idea but so grateful!!
    5. Yogurt covered raisins, red peppers slices, and string cheese
    6.No tips
    7. 10 years this December, hoping for a dinner out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please share your peanut/oatmeal cookie recipe- I always need good toddler snack ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Husband and I both grew up with Santa, but I hated him as a child. Our kids do St Nicholas day, and we give them 3 presents on Christmas that they know are from us.
    2. We all five of us sleep in the same room. Works great for us.
    3. I did until my fingers shrunk a size. :( Now I wear my plain wedding band on my right hand, which was one size bigger than my left to start with, and a cheap silver claddagh ring on my left hand. I miss my engagement ring so much. Thnking about having it downsized soon so I can wear it again.
    4. No. It's such a gift, though. MG and Hannah look like sisters!
    5. I have the same question- no answers unfortunatley.
    7. 5 years this coming April. I'd love a kid-free date. We've only had one since our oldest was born almost 4 years ago.

    I'd also love to have your snack cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. We probably will not do Santa but will def. celebrate st. Nick's feast day and do stockings.

    2. My girls share a room and it works out just fine. Then again I've never had just one in their own room ;)

    3. I always wear my wedding band but my engagement I usually only wear to mass and on other special occasions.

    4. That's so cool that you've made great friends through your blog!

    5. We do peanut butter on graham crackers or waffles with cream cheese and fruit.

    6. Check out Like Mother Like Daughter for her cleaning tips and scheduling.

    7. Been married for five years now. Congratulations on your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we do Santa and BIG! I can't imagine a childhood without Santa! We make sure they know he's really St. Nicholas, and we also do St. Nicholas day. But yes, my extended family even rents a "real" Santa (real beard, totally authentic looking) who comes with an elf every year to enchant the kids on Christmas Eve (eve). We love Santa here! And, it's never confused anyone. :)

    I don't wear my diamond wedding ring… I wear my simple gold band, and never take it off. It is perfect for all the hand washing, diaper changes, lotion, etc. I couldn't handle having a diamond on my hand for all that. Some people can, I can't.

    We are married 22 years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We started out making no mention of Santa at all. Allt he gifts came from us and family. We did and still do St. Nick's day and it was small, candy, a new book, stickers and usually the book was a religious book. When she was 3 (old enough to start hearing Santa everywhere) we "allowed" all her stocking stuff to be Santa gifts. last year was a mess though. EVERYONE was asking what santa was bringing her, etc. I had explained to her previously that Santa was a fun character we saw at Christmas, like Rudolph and Frosty. I told her it was pretend and it was okay to pretend. We still do stocking stuff from Santa and it has small gifts in it, a new barbie, art supplies, DVD's etc. We don't open any gifts Christmas eve and open all of them on the morning of. I grew up with santa and I think we did what we did to make sure we didn't go nuts and lose sight of what the true meaning of Christmas is and we wanted Maggie to get a good sense of that at an early age. It's hard when she is bombarded with Santa, etc. So while we never mentioned it and made a big deal about it, she has didscovered on her own. We made sure to tell her that some kids really do believe in santa and that's okay and we shouldn't spoil it:)

    That was a long answer. I meant to answer your other questions but now I can't remember any!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I really do...they make me giddy! :)